public inbox for passt-dev@passt.top
* Weird timeout issue with passt
@ 2022-06-23  5:59 David Gibson
From: David Gibson @ 2022-06-23  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: passt-dev

I alluded to this in my last patchset, but here's the information I've
gathered on the current problem I'm hitting running the passt distro
tests.  It's pretty weird.

On at least two occasions the tests have stalled during the Fedora 30,
aarch64 test, with the guest getting a timeout downloading the package
lists before installing new packages.  For me this is selecting the
mirror mirror.2degrees.nz.  I'm not sure which factors are are
relevant to reproducing the problem though.

* The problem seems to me that the download suddenly stops progressing
* partway through, causing dnf to eventually time out

* If I manually try a "dnf clean all && dnf makecache -v" using the
  same guest image, it  doesn't fail every time, but it fails
  significantly more often than not

* It doesn't fail on the same file every time

* I haven't been able to reproduce manually downloading the failing
  file with curl (tried repeatedly)

* If I restrict dnf to a single repository rather than the whole set,
  I haven't managed to reproduce the problem

* If I use qemu's -net user slirp instead of passt with the same disk
  image , I haven't been able to reproduce the problem (tried a bunch
  of times)

* I've reproduced with the guest using both IPv4 and IPv6

* I have reproduced what looks like the same problem with an x86 guest
  image under KVM (also Fedora 30), but it seems to happen much less
  often (seen once in 10 or more attempts)

* Seems to reproduce fairly readily with an x86 guest under TCG
  though, so I'm guessing the difference is timing related.

--
				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]