public inbox for passt-dev@passt.top
From: Stefano Brivio <sbrivio@redhat.com>
To: Paul Holzinger <pholzing@redhat.com>
Cc: passt-dev@passt.top
Subject: Re: pasta does not correctly handle bind errors with port ranges
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:15:43 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 17:56:32 +0100
Stefano Brivio <sbrivio@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:43:00 +0100
> Paul Holzinger <pholzing@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/02/2024 15:13, Stefano Brivio wrote:

> > > This really depends on the user. The main usage behind the current
> > > behaviour is the "all" forwarding mode, as originally designed for
> > > KubeVirt, now available via libvirt in two forms: -t all / -u all, or
> > > giving excluded ranges only (from the man page: "Specifying excluded
> > > ranges only implies that all other ports are forwarded.").
> > >
> > > At least this part, specifically, is an established behaviour and we
> > > can't break it.
> > >
> > > But that's not a substantial conflict with what you're asking for
> > > Podman: we can keep this behaviour only if the user asks to forward
> > > (almost) "all" the ports (in whatever way). And Podman never asks for
> > > that, and probably never will.

> > > Right, yes, we'll need to describe it.

> > > I see, but again, if just port 8005 is not available, you might say
> > > that having pasta succeed is a security concern because somebody can
> > > "steal" the port, or that having pasta fail is a nuisance because the
> > > user probably just wanted to forward the remaining 1000 ports, and
> > > graceful degradation would be desirable instead.
> > >
> > > It's pretty impossible to draw a line in a different way that's not
> > > considered inconsistent or inconvenient by some. So:
> >
> > Yeah I understand that, I guess I just am missing the use case of
> > forwarding large port ranges in general as I don't understand how it is
> > used in practice. As an application inside the VM/container that just
> > binds a port it has no knowledge whenever passt/pasta forwarded the port
> > so if it happens to use one that was skipped because it was already used
> > on the host it just won't get external connections.
>
> The "host" could be a very controlled environment, such as a dedicated
> network namespace, say a Kubernetes pod. One example I have fresh in
> mind, KubeVirt with Istio:
>
>   https://kubevirt.io/user-guide/virtual_machines/istio_service_mesh/
>
> Service meshes are usually implemented by / designed for containers. If
> you move some parts (implementing a number of servers) to a virtual
> machine, they don't expect to get any connection to the ports that are
> normally taken on the host, but anything else is legitimate.
>
> > I guess the answer for that is user error/problem.
>
> In some sense, yes. Mind that we have automatic and somewhat abstracted
> users, too, which is not so much the focus for Podman.

> > > ...would probing for the option be a possibility? That is, run 'pasta
> > > --strict-bind', and if it fails, log a warning and continue without the
> > > option.
> > >
> > > If that's too cumbersome, then I would skip the new option and change
> > > it to simply fail if we can't bind a single port (and report the single
> > > error right away), unless the user requests to forward "almost all" the
> > > ports, in which case we could probably warn() with a list of the ports
> > > that we couldn't bind.

> [...]

After thinking about it a bit further: adding yet a new option doesn't
make a lot of sense if all we want to preserve is the established
behaviour for -t / -u all, and while we can document everything, it
makes things even more convoluted (and harder to document).

In the 'all' case, or with excluded ranges only, we're very likely to
fail to bind some ports, and the user can very reasonably expect it, so
we can have a different behaviour for those types of port forwarding
specifiers and document it. It actually makes the code shorter, perhaps
simpler.

In any other case, we'll fail as you suggested and report the error. If
the user wants to have this same behaviour for -t all, they can also
write it as -t 0-65535 -- that's a rather clear indication that they
want to bind *all* the ports.

With the patch I just posted:

  $ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_unprivileged_port_start
  21
  $ ./passt -t 20
  Failed to bind port 20 (Permission denied) for option '-t 20', exiting
  $ ./passt -t 20-5000
  Failed to bind port 20 (Permission denied) for option '-t 20-5000', exiting
  $ ./passt -t 23 -t 18
  Failed to bind port 18 (Permission denied) for option '-t 18', exiting
  $ ./passt -t 22-23
  Failed to bind port 22 (Address already in use) for option '-t 22-23', exiting

but:

  $ ./passt -t ~0,~21-65535
  Failed to bind any port for '-t ~0,~21-65535', exiting

because this approximates the -t all behaviour, minus some ports.

Let me know if this works for you.

--
Stefano